libmysqlclient soname version bumped by upstream

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 17:47:36 UTC 2011

Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> writes:
> Once upon a time, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> said:
>> Now I have no problem with pushing such a change into rawhide, but what
>> shall I do about Fedora 15?  It doesn't seem very nice to force a soname
>> bump after alpha.  On the other hand, the alternatives seem worse:

> IMHO the best solution is to go ahead, bite the bullet, and upgrade F15
> as well.  The two missing bits of info:

> - what packages have to be rebuilt
> - how big is the change - I would assume that the API either didn't
>   change or is backwards compatible (since it is only a minor version
>   change) - is that the case?

So far as I can tell from the release notes, there's no actual API
change in this update release.  The issue is that they realized (too
late) that they should have done a soname bump between 5.1 and 5.5
because of previous changes.  So it should just be a matter of a
recompile of F15 packages that are currently linking to
libmysqlclient.so.16.  We've already taken whatever API hit there
might be.

			regards, tom lane