libmysqlclient soname version bumped by upstream

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Mar 21 17:57:09 UTC 2011

Am 21.03.2011 17:28, schrieb Tom Lane:
> So I started to package up mysql 5.5.10, and was surprised to read this
> in the release notes:
>
> 	Incompatible Change: The shared library version of the client
> 	library was increased to 18 to reflect ABI changes, and avoid
> 	compatibility problems with the client library in MySQL
> 	5.1. Note that this is an incompatible change between 5.5.10 and
> 	earlier 5.5 versions, so client programs that use the 5.5 client
> 	library should be recompiled against the 5.5.10 client library.
>
> This is probably a good thing, but it's something they should have done
> *before* declaring 5.5.x GA, methinks :-(

of course, they thought it is the same ABI but something went wrong
upstream and it was not really

we are using 5.5 on F13 and F14 based on a SPEC from remi
who cooked something the the so was 116 and provided
a compat-mysql51 for fedora-packages

in our case i hadto rebuild only dovecot, dbmail and postfix
since we build php with mysqlnd which is independent

> Now I have no problem with pushing such a change into rawhide, but what
> shall I do about Fedora 15?  It doesn't seem very nice to force a soname
> bump after alpha.  On the other hand, the alternatives seem worse:
>
> * never upgrade F15 past mysql 5.5.9

even if we use it for fedora >= 13 this would not be a good solution
because some packages need only a simple rebuild and MYsQL 5.5
brings some hughe improvemnets

> * patch the releases to continue using the .16 version number

possible (see above) but not a clean solution

> * revert F15 to 5.1.x release series

this is no solution because all depending packages should be recompiled
and so there is no difference to go straight ahead with 5.5.10, see below
we are since friday in prdoction with 5.5.10 on Fedora 13

root at buildserver:~]$ uname -rv
2.6.34.8-68.fc13.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Feb 17 15:03:58 UTC 2011

[root at buildserver:~]$ mysql --version
/usr/bin/mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.10, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1