Firefox 4 for f14?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 25 11:48:08 UTC 2011

Henrique Junior wrote:
> It may sound a little off-topic to this thread, but since we are talking
> about bring new stuff into F14 I would like to know the opinion of you,
> guys, about the new openSUSE's tumbleweed [1] [2] repo, that tries to
> bring to openSUSE some "rolling release" behaviour.
> Maybe in the future Fedora could try something similar as an option to
> cases like Firefox 4 in Fedora 14.

Some thoughts about openSUSE's particular implementation:
* Right now, it doesn't have all that many packages in it:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/src/
* They do those things as a true rolling release (from the page: "A rolling
release upgrades smoothly between openSUSE releases"), which means they
assume that new stuff will always eventually become suitable to be pushed as
an update, and that this will always happen before or on the next release's
release date. I don't think that's true, e.g. I don't think KDE 4 would have
been a suitable update for a distribution shipped with KDE 3 at ANY moment.
What all those rolling release approaches miss is the (IMHO essential)
distinction between welcome upgrades and disruptive breakage. "Stable"
update approaches also miss this distinction, they assume everything is
disruptive, which is the other extreme.

        Kevin Kofler