manually fixing IPs

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Mar 26 21:59:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 11:03 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:

> IIRC you can set:
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
> Supposedly that will take ethX off the reservation and allow you to use the ifup
> script and ifconfig utility as you traditionally would.

I remain unconvinced that in rawhide it's possibly to truly instruct all
these wonderful bells and whistles to leave an interface alone. In the
end, I gave up and used a system without NM or any of the other stuff,
since turning it off for a few minutes was getting too involved. On that
other system, adding a manual ARP entry and an interface alias with
another IP stuck, didn't change randomly, and did what I wanted.

Not very web 2.0 I know, but I like it that way.

Jon.