Question of forbiddeness: rippit

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 27 02:09:43 UTC 2011

Howdy, all.

As a weekend project, I created 'rippit', a super simple no-frills command
line CD ripper. It aims to take zero parameters and produce lossless rips
in .flac format, properly tagged with musicbrainz, etc.

In the future, I plan on extending it to also rip DVDs in the same
fashion. i.e. type 'rippit' and it finds your DVD drive and starts ripping
the video to some free format like mkv, theora, or somesuch. Haven't
decided yet..

Rippit is built entirely using gstreamer packages that are available in
Fedora. When I add DVD support, I plan on making the relevant non-free
decoders and elements accessible via rpmfusion.org a pure runtime
dependency. No linking, no failure to compile, etc. As such, it doesn't
directly do anything more than what you can do via gst-launch.

When dvd ripping is later added, would this put rippit at risk of not
being included in fedora (and potentially other copyright-wary distros)?

I can't imagine it would, since you can achieve exactly the same result
that rippit provides (in the future) by running gst-launch.

--
Trever Fischer (tdfischer)
Fedora Ambassador, KDE Hacker