Question of forbiddeness: rippit

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 28 08:49:44 UTC 2011

On 03/28/2011 01:00 AM, Trever Fischer wrote:

>>> The issue I see here is, that you most likely can not have a package in
>>> Fedora which has one as dependency (explicitly defined via Requires)
>>> which resides in a completely other repository. I guess it isn't a
>>> problem as long as you don't have such Requires, but that might cause
>>> your program to not work correctly or limits the functionality of your
>>> program (in case the required packages from rpmfusion are not
>>> installed).
>>>
>>> The logical consequence of this would be to include it directly into
>>> rpmfusion, wouldn't it?
>>
>> Alternatively,  use PackageKit integration
> Thats the plan, more or less. GStreamer has tools available that (in
> theory) work on all platforms to install missing plugins.

In which case, I'd say it's legal as long as your package has some
functionality that is usable even without the RPM Fusion bits (in this
case, CD-ripping).

I maintain a package in RPM Fusion that does not quite make this
criterion -- Vagalume, a Last.fm client. While it can be built without
install-time requirement on GStreamer's MP3 codec, there's no point
since Last.fm *only* streams in MP3!

But if in doubt, you can ask the legal@ list.

Best regards,

- --