Delayed encrypted partition mount

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 28 14:23:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21.03.11 09:35, Bruno Wolff III (bruno at wolff.to) wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 16:22:59 +0200,
>   Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My question is simple: Given the fact that I rarely encrypt the root,
> > can I somehow delay the encrypted partition mount to right-before-gdm,
> > so all the essential services (samba, nfs, cups) - especially network
> > and sshd, will be up, so I can remotely type the password required to
> > mount the encrypted partitions?
>
> I think under systemd there is a timeout and the system will continue to
> boot without the encrypted devices being mounted.

On systemd systems you can add "nofail" to the options in
/etc/crypttab. If used systemd will automatically decrypt the device if
it is plugged in (you will get a wall message telling you to enter the
passphrase for that and how to do that), but if it isn't it won't delay
bootup.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.