Systemd Status

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 28 19:11:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24.03.11 23:08, Liang Suilong (liangsuilong at gmail.com) wrote:

> Fedora 15 switches to systemd as default init system. The developer still
> works for coding and fixing the bugs. We should appreciate that developers
> give us such a fast init system to improve boot time. However we do not know
> what it changes from old version to new one. The changelog has just one
> sentence. New upstream released. I think I need to know What a new feature
> is in a new version. The homepage of systemd does not refer to changelogs.
> Thank you!

Downstream packaging changes are tracked in the .spec file's
changelog. Upstream code changes are tracked in the git repository
upstream, and included in the version announcement mails.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/log/

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-March/001528.html

If you want realtime updates on what is changing you can even subscribe
to the commits mailing list:

This all is not any different from most other packages.

> Since Kernel 2.6.38 was released, autogroup schedule patch has been merged
> into mainline kernel. I rememberd Lennert Poettering argued on autogroup
> schedule with Linus Torvalds. The patch is just working with processes from
> TTY console. Lennert seemed to tell us the best way was that init system
> provided autogroup schedule. Now systemd is able to give every service,
> every user and every user session own cgroup in the CPU hierarchy. How far
> is autogroup schedule in systemd from us? I can not hear any news about it.
> I know this is not easy job because every process has its own property. But
> I hope it is coming soon and really makes our desktop more smooth.

We cannot do per-application 'cpu' grouping yet, since systemd is
currently not used for managing user applications as session manager (we
are looking into doing this for F16 however).

Per-service 'cpu' grouping is on by default in F15.

Per-user 'cpu' grouping we had to disable since the kernel is currently
too limited, and enabling this means that RT scheduling will not be
available for the user. If you do not care for RT you can enable
per-user 'cpu' grouping by editing /etc/pam.d/system-auth and adding
controllers=cpu to the configuration line of pam_systemd. See
pam_systemd(8) for more information.

Per-Terminal grouping is not available, but there's a patch for
gnome-terminal in gnome bz for that. But we probably should get
per-application grouping right before we think about this.

Given that this is how it is the F15 kernel will have setsid()-based
autogrouping enabled.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.