manually fixing IPs

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Mar 29 06:35:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 14:47 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > end, I gave up and used a system without NM or any of the other stuff,
>
> That's the right answer:  simply turn off NetworkManager and turn on the
> "network" service, to prevent these new breakages from occurring.  I do
> that for all the machines in my test lab.

For clarification, I usually do have NM_CONTROLLED set for every
interface, except on laptops. In this case, I just wanted to instead
turn off NetworkManager and configure the interface manually. I see no
reason why it shouldn't be possible to tell a system service to stop and
expect it to stay stopped until I turn it back on again. That way, I can
tell NM to shutdown, do something I need to do, then get the prettified
laptop experience back again when I'm done (on the netbook).

This was all to tftp various firmwares over to routers I was playing
with over the weekend. Soldering surface mount bits, placing wires, and
poking at serial consoles and firmware setup was trivial. The hardest
bit was telling a system service to stay stopped :)

Jon.