manually fixing IPs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 17:12:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 02:35 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> For clarification, I usually do have NM_CONTROLLED set for every
> interface, except on laptops. In this case, I just wanted to instead
> turn off NetworkManager and configure the interface manually. I see no
> reason why it shouldn't be possible to tell a system service to stop and
> expect it to stay stopped until I turn it back on again. That way, I can
> tell NM to shutdown, do something I need to do, then get the prettified
> laptop experience back again when I'm done (on the netbook).
>
> This was all to tftp various firmwares over to routers I was playing
> with over the weekend. Soldering surface mount bits, placing wires, and
> poking at serial consoles and firmware setup was trivial. The hardest
> bit was telling a system service to stay stopped :)

If just stopping it with 'systemctl stop NetworkManager.service' didn't
do the job, I would imagine you were running up against systemd's bus
activation feature; when something tried to poke NM via dbus, systemd
would fire it up. Lennart may be able to suggest how you can avoid this,
if it's possible.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey