What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 30 12:50:33 UTC 2011

Le Mer 30 mars 2011 14:30, Lennart Poettering a écrit :

> Also, can somebody point me to the place where the FHS would say "no
> other directories below / are allowed"? I can't find that. And hence
> this change is perfectly FHS compliant.

%<----

Applications must never create or require special files or subdirectories in
the root directory. Other locations in the FHS hierarchy provide more than
enough flexibility for any package.

Tip	Rationale

There are several reasons why creating a new subdirectory of the root
filesystem is prohibited:

    It demands space on a root partition which the system administrator may
want kept small and simple for either performance or security reasons.

    It evades whatever discipline the system administrator may have set up for
distributing standard file hierarchies across mountable volumes.

Distributions should not create new directories in the root hierarchy without
extremely careful consideration of the consequences including for application
portability.

%<----

Which is why, while I find this change generally positive, it really needs an
FHS update (might be a good occasion to remove old directory definitions which
have finally been deprecated those past years, and resolve /var/opt vs /srv
differences)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot