What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Mar 30 13:39:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 30.03.11 15:03, Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) wrote:

> > I also don't think you can really justify the "massive" qualifier in your
> > assertion. The actual text of the (7 year old) FHS has this to say:
> 7 year old doesn't mean obsolete and doesn't mean to adopt any crack
> ridden idea somebody comes up with.

Thanks for implying we were addicted to crack. It really underlines your
arguments.

> Any ordinary Fedora contributor with a similar proposal would have been
> "sent to hell".

Uh? What are you implying here?

Note that I myself was actually leaning towards a different solution for
a long time, just so I don't have to deal with negative people like
you. But other folks were championing for /run (especially from Debian),
and they convinced me and the others with stakes in this, and so we
implemented this. This is how these things usually work: everybody can
make suggestions, and the best one which convinced the key people who
can implement something like this wins in the end. In this case the idea
was not mine. So really no need to imply my humble ideas were in any way
special here or had more weight than anybody else's, since well, this
one wasn't even mine.

> > No standard is or even should be carved in stone for all eternity.
> Right, but devs should ignore it or feel tempted to rape such a standard.

Wow, crack addicted rapists.

Die Wahl Deiner Worte adelt wahrlich Deine Gedanken!

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.