What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Mar 30 15:24:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 30.03.11 09:35, Adam Miller (maxamillion at fedoraproject.org) wrote:
>
>> Again, I'm not against that this is being done, but I would like to see
>> everyone equally follow suit on the way things are traditionally done
>> in Fedora land.
>
> Well, the technical change is actually minimal, and this is mostly a
> contract between dracut, systemd, udev, and very few other low-level
> packages.

Actually, there is
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Filesystem_Layout
, which restricts even these "very few low-level packages".  Yes, the
best solution is most likely to change the packaging guidelines, at
least until FHS is updated - but that's something that needs to be
done at the very latest at the same time that the packages are
updated.
    Mirek