libedit update needs karma

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 17:32:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:34 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The latest libedit update is CRITPATH, so it needs some karma.  The
> direct consumers of libedit, if my repoquery-fu is up to the task, are
> the following, with their maintainers listed first, followed by
> comaintainers:
>
> Io-language: limb
> asterisk: jcollie, fabbione, itamarjp
> ceph: josef, boodle, jdieter, steve, stingray, tremble, zaniyah
> chrony: mlichvar
> firebird (-class-common, -superserver): makowski
> ghc-editline: s4504kr
> kaya: s4504kr
> libedit: kdudka, jcollie, jjames
> libreadline-java: akurtakov
> link-grammar: uwog
> ntp: mlichvar, pertusus
> openssh: jfch2222, dwalsh, ellert, lkundrak, mgrepl, mitr, sgrubb, tmraz
> php (-cli): jorton, rdieter, remi, timj
> php-pecl-xdebug: remi, cdamian, hubbitus
> pure: salimma
> uim: tagoh, i18n-team
>
> I'm jjames, and kdudka has already provided karma.  Will some of the
> rest of you please test the update and leave your feedback on the
> update page?
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libedit-3.0-3.20110227cvs.fc15
>
> Thank you very much,

Yeah, handling cases like this where a somewhat 'obscure' library hits
critpath through deps is something I've been thinking about.
package-specific test cases would help, if someone would write them. :)
I think this gets to be critpath via the openssh and possibly ntp
requirements; it may help to know exactly what those apps _do_ with
libedit. But from a critpath perspective, this update is okay as long as
dependent critpath apps still work.

It would be nice if Bodhi could say 'this update is critical path
because of the following dependency chain:', but I don't know how
practical that is...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey