What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 18:00:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 12:49 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:24:42AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 09:35 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Again, I'm not against that this is being done, but I would like to see
> > > everyone equally follow suit on the way things are traditionally done
> > > in Fedora land.
> >
> > Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. We have a features process with lots
> > of bureaucracy and FESCo involvement and so on. What we don't have is
> > any clear _enforcement_ of that process; there's no workable system that
> > evaluates changes and requires sufficiently significant changes to be
> > submitted as features. It's perfectly possible, and has been done lots
> > of times, to simply go ahead and commit significant changes that _could_
> > have been 'features', not submit them as features, and happily bypass
> > the entire 'feature' process with all its bureaucracy. /run would
> > certainly not be close to being the first time this has happened.
> <SNIP>
>
> So we should disband FESCo and just let everyone commit whatever changes
> they want without oversight or community inclusion and just hope it builds
> and runs in the end?
>
> I can't stress this enough, I am not against this change and am actually in
> support of it. I am also a big fan of systemd and want to express my gratitude
> to those involved in all the work being done to make it a reality. I am,
> however, a little concerned with the precedence it is either creating or
> following in the path of.

No, not really. I'm just pointing out that this isn't a _new_ problem,
and it should probably be addressed on a wider scale than just
squelching this particular change because it hasn't jumped through the
(arguably) appropriate hoops.

(I think Lennart's argument that in technical terms it's not actually a
very big change has merit, too, given that we're not symlinking /var/run
yet.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey