What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:25:55 UTC 2011

2011/3/30 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 09:35 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
>
>> Again, I'm not against that this is being done, but I would like to see
>> everyone equally follow suit on the way things are traditionally done
>> in Fedora land.
>
> Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. We have a features process with lots
> of bureaucracy and FESCo involvement and so on. What we don't have is
> any clear _enforcement_ of that process; there's no workable system that
> evaluates changes and requires sufficiently significant changes to be
> submitted as features. It's perfectly possible, and has been done lots
> of times, to simply go ahead and commit significant changes that _could_
> have been 'features', not submit them as features, and happily bypass
> the entire 'feature' process with all its bureaucracy. /run would
> certainly not be close to being the first time this has happened.

Please do not try to kill evolution through the bureaucracy. Lennart
fixed a long standing issue here and he did it in such a way that tree
other major distributions accepted his solution. He also fixed a long
standing issues with Linux init system. This is not a feature - this
is evolution.

> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

Best regards,
Michal