What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Mar 31 11:22:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, 31.03.11 13:13, Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) wrote:

> >> <cite>
> >> Applications must never create or require special files or
> >> subdirectories in the root directory. Other locations in the FHS
> >> hierarchy provide more than enough flexibility for any package.
> >> </cite>
> >
> > Well, we are not an "application", are we?
>
> I feel you are violently not wanting to understand and prefer tearing
> things into the absurd:
>
> a) systemd is the application this all has begin with.

systemd is part of the OS, it is the system. It's not an app running on
the OS. Firefox is an app.

> b) what else but applications are creating "run" files?

The system. dracut, systemd, udev, and so on -- which all are components
of the OS.

So, now I am a violent crack addicted rapist in your eyes. I am curious
what adjectives you think of next.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.