illegal instruction - create compile variants ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun May 1 20:31:42 UTC 2011

David Timms wrote:
> Should I be suggesting to upstream to attempt to detect CPU before
> running non-available instructions, eg as part of app startup ?

Yes, this is the ONLY solution that's acceptable for binary packaging in
distributions. Otherwise, we can only build the most generic version. (The
current packages which enable whatever happens to be supported on the build
system are completely broken and shouldn't have passed review.)

> Can that even be done (reliably) ?

Yes, all the packages which have WORKING support for SSE etc. in Fedora do
that. See e.g.
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/entry/solid/solid/backends/shared/cpufeatures.cpp
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/entry/solid/solid/backends/udev/cpuinfo.cpp
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/entry/solid/solid/backends/udev/udevprocessor.cpp
for the implementation Solid (in kdelibs) uses.

        Kevin Kofler