adding manual to existing package - soft review ?

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 2 09:30:04 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 08:48:26 +1000
> From: David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au>
> Subject: adding manual to existing package - soft review ?
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
>        <devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>
> Hi, I'm adding a subpackage -manual to audacity to include the
> additional manual archive. It links from the help menu items if it is
> installed, or else points you to the in development online version.
>
> I already made a mistake and included manual files in both the main and
> sub package. The spec change [1] I've committed fixes this.
>
> The -manual package can be used by either audacity or
> audacity-freeworld. At the moment the manual spec marks up the
> datadair/audacity folder and hence dually owns it with audacity if that
> is installed. Reading the packaging examples, seems that this can
> sometimes be OK, but does what I've done make sense ?

In your updated spec the manual (from the URL) does not contain a
version. When creating a sub-package, both audacity and
audacity-manual will have the same version. I do not think this is
always correct, you probably want to use the manual from the same
version, or create a separate package if versions can be mixed.

> Or should I Require the audacity (or audacity-freeworld) package, and
> not add the datadir/audacity folder to the -manual directory.

If the manual does not need to be the same version as audacity and/or
audacity-freeworld, I guess that using a Requires and creating an
independent sub-package is the best choice.

> Thirdly, vague recollection of one source/package. Should the -manual
> just be a separate package anyway (review?) ? It's likely to be updated
> more often, but not necessarily in sync with the program.

See above.

> 4. Being new to git/fedpkg, how can I tell which branch I'm on ?

$ fedpkg switch-branch -l
or
$ git branch
the active branch is marked with a *.