Announcing the release of Fedora 15 Beta!!

John Keller fedora at johnkeller.com
Mon May 2 14:30:34 UTC 2011

On 04/29/2011 11:05 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:14 AM, John Keller <fedora at johnkeller.com> wrote:
>
>> Right now the only options, to my knowledge, are to use the netinst
>> (hybrid image) or use some special tool/process to convert the DVD ISO
>> into a bootable USB key. The former can be flaky (as you mention) and
>> the latter is cumbersome (and has the drawback of essentially testing
>> something different than the actual DVD image).
>>
>> Would hybrid DVD ISOs be feasible going forward?
>
> I use livecd-iso-to-disk (regularly and frequently), to make a
> bootable  USB key for the DVD isos to do installs - it just works -
>
> I am puzzled as to why there is perceived to be a need to have
> additional tools or additional hybrid isos?

I certainly wasn't asking for additional tools, in fact I think
livecd-iso-to-disk already qualifies as one. :-)

I was asking for two reasons: One, convenience; two, portability. Yes,
the tools used on Fedora "just work" if you already run a Fedora system.
But if you use a different distro, the same tools are usually
unavailable or don't work with the installed libraries. It's hard to get
more universal than a simple "dd".

A third reason came to me while writing the email you quote, but don't
seem to address: When using anything but "dd", you're essentially
testing something different than the ISO (since, as I understand it,
tools like livecd-iso-to-disk create their own initrd). If a hybrid were
created, we'd be testing the image as-is, without having to burn a disc.

- John