Haskell packaging questions

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri May 6 01:50:03 UTC 2011

Very late reply... sorry it took me rather longer
finally to finish the new packaging draft than I had hoped.

> Wouldn't it be more clear if cabal2spec generated the %files and
> %packages sections rather than using a really complicated macro? As a
> reviewer, I feel like there is no way to tell what the spec file is
> doing. I can't even tell which packages it's going to create unless I
> actually run rpmbuild and look at what files show up.

Perhaps it would but the downside to that is that every time
we want to change the packaging we then have to edit and
update 100+ .spec files which is not so fun.  Refactoring
it into the macros makes maintenance a lot easier:
essentially it is all just boilerplate since the packaging
of every Haskell Cabal-based library is essentially the same.

I hope the new revised draft helps to make things clearer:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Haskell

I have also updated cabal2spec to add more comments
and links to the Packaging Guidelines pages to make
things more transparent.

Thanks, Jens