Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri May 6 16:17:26 UTC 2011

On 05/06/2011 08:58 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Gnome 3 is a usability disaster. It added some useful things, yes,
> but it also REMOVED some useful things - what a hell!?
> Since when is that a valid development practice?
> Do we hate our users or what?

While Gnome 3 is a complete rewrite of the usability playbook, I feel it
is not a disaster. It offers a fresh start. Gnome 3 will allow people to
customize it the way they want. Don't believe me? Google for Gnome 3
extensions[1]. They basically allow you to customize any part of your
desktop even against C libraries (as long as they have a typelib) using
only java script. Once I saw how Gnome 3 was designed I came to like it.
Gnome 2 was leading to a road to no where. Sure, Gnome 3 doesn't have
*everything* Gnome 2 had in terms of features, but in a matter of months
I feel those missing features will be created in extensions.

P.S. You're not going to receive much sympathy from anyone on the
desktop list or Gnome community by phrasing your comments like this.

P.P.S. The desktop or test list would love to continue this discussion.

[1] http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/04/gnome-3-shell-extensions.html