spec file licensing

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri May 6 21:45:00 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 03:24 AM, Iain Arnell wrote:
> Having just signed the new FPCA, I'm wondering if there is any
> boilerplate for specifically licensing spec files. Is there a quick
> and easy way to state, for example: "this spec file is licensed under
> the same terms as the package itself"?

That sentence would be sufficient.

> And as most of the spec files I deal with are generated by cpanspec,
> can I relicense them myself? Can fedora? Or are they implicitly
> covered by cpanspec's "same as Perl" license?

Ooh, thats a fun question. I would say to the extent that such spec
files are copyrightable, then you are the copyright holder, and can
license them however you choose. This also means those spec files are
not implicitly covered by cpanspec's license choice.

~tom

==
Fedora Project