F15's /usr/include/rpc has disappeared; <netdb.h> uncompilable

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 6 22:55:24 UTC 2011

> Well, if they think this is their beta test period, it still merits
> asking why the heck this type of change is going in now.  I agree with
> Dave that this looks like development material, not near-release bug
> fixing.  It's particularly bad that they are making what amount to API
> changes long after all dependent packages are frozen.  Who knows how
> many F15 packages are now going to ship in a FTBFS state?
>
> If I were running things around here, this change would get reverted for
> F15.  Rawhide, it's fine in.

You are running things around here - you, me, and everybody :)

Remember, packages for Branched releases go through the whole
updates-testing / Bodhi process, and the release images are spun from
packages which *pass* updates-testing: so you get an opportunity to
explain politely to the glibc developers that they are on crack and
should re-consider, before the package really becomes a part of F15
proper.

In fact, you can see this has already happened:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/glibc-2.13.90-11

has -6 karma at present. When it hit -3, it got unpushed. Of course,
this reminds us of a problem in Bodhi where an update's karma isn't
reset to 0 when it's edited, because the glibc devs sent out a fixed
build - 11 - but it's still at -6 karma. Still, the process works!

(Luke, any chance that's going to get fixed in Bodhi soon?)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey