Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

Mario Blättermann mariobl at freenet.de
Sat May 7 16:50:31 UTC 2011

Am 07.05.2011 16:51, schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 03:58:51PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 11:05 +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I made some noises on IRC about people upgrading to F15 (like myself)
>>> who would all come across the same surprises and would have to find a
>>> way to work around them. I suggested it might help to publish
>>> something like release notes but more user oriented, to help to ease
>>> the pain (and to defuse the many questions that will undoubtedly find
>>> their way to the various support forums). At the time no-one seemed to
>>> pick up on the idea.
>>>
>>> I wrote a blog post about it, maybe not the best way to help Fedora
>>> users so feel free to take the idea and the content and repackage it
>>> as appropriate.
>>>
>>> http://littlethorpe.net/wordpress/?p=334 "Fedora 15 Gnome 3 gotchas"
>>>
>>> If nothing else maybe I have included the right words so that users
>>> can Google for 'what the heck happened to my minimise button' or
>>> whatever and find some help.
>>
>> Gnome 3 is a usability disaster. It added some useful things, yes,
>> but it also REMOVED some useful things - what a hell!?
>> Since when is that a valid development practice?
>> Do we hate our users or what?
>
> # yum install @XFCE
>
> Then, log out and at the log in window select "XFCE 4" as the session.
>
> Rich.

That's no solution. We don't want to switch to Xfce, we want to have
back a usable GNOME. I appreciated GNOME for its modularity all the
years. If there's a painless way to get this back and to get my favorite
window manager Fluxbox back into GNOME 3, there's no need to switch the
desktop.

In fact, it was always a task for distributors to make a DE really
usable. Remember the introduction of the Nautilus spatial view in GNOME
2.14. Due to massive user protests, we had our old behavior (as default)
back after some time. The same should happen with the "fallback mode" in
GNOME 3. We need a new GNOME as close as possible to the old one, to
keep the current users. Well, it would be fine to get new GNOME lovers,
but not by kicking the old farts out.

Best Regards,
Mario