informations about boot sequence (Re: F15 - mysql start problem)

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon May 9 15:59:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 11:26:50AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Micha=B3_Piotrowski?= <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com> writes:
> > Ok, I know what is happening. I looked at the init script and I
> > realized that it doesn't have any LSB header info about boot process
> > order.
>
> No, it's assuming that the chkconfig numbering takes care of that.
> Are you saying that systemd no longer honors the chkconfig ordering?
> That doesn't leave me with a warm feeling about how much testing the
> systemd stuff has gotten, because there is all kinds of stuff that's
> liable to fall over without that.

  Systemd ignores chkconfig ordering for native services.  And orders
by requirements.  So it is crucial to have proper Requires= and After=
in unit files.

> > I also looked at other services and here are some of them that
> > needs fixing:
> > - memcached - (I created systemd service for it) - I can provide a
> > patch for classic init script
> > - smb - as above
> > - nmb - as above
> > - mysql - I can provide a patch for classic init scrip
> > - postgresql - as above
>
> Yes, mysql and postgresql are both certainly broken by this.  Please
> send the info, I'll take care of those two.

  We have hackish NetworkManager-wait-online.service which can be requested
in such cases.  But it really shouldn't be used.  Services should have
proper requirements set, deal with dynamic network nature.  And ideally
by socket activable, so we don't have to deal with such issues.

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev