informations about boot sequence (Re: F15 - mysql start problem)

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon May 9 17:58:43 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:
> Am 09.05.2011 19:09, schrieb Micha³ Piotrowski:
>> W dniu 9 maja 2011 18:10 u¿ytkownik Michal Schmidt
>> <mschmidt at redhat.com> napisa³:
>>> Are you sure that none of these services can deal with the network
>>> connection coming up later?

>> I don't know. It appears that MySQL can't deal with that

> i wonder that mysqld should need network in every case since  most setups out there using
> only  sockets for mysql-connections and it is a valid use-case having mysql on machines
> without any network

I did some quick tests and it seemed that the plain-vanilla
configuration of both postgres and mysql would start all right in F15.
However, it's definitely possible to configure postgres in a way that
requires it to do DNS lookups at startup, and I verified that that will
fail in the current state of F15.  I'm less familiar with all of mysql's
options but I wouldn't be surprised if there's comparable issues there.

I'd be interested to know whether the OP was using a vanilla my.cnf or
something custom, and exactly what failure mode he saw.

			regards, tom lane