Changelog entries on older package

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue May 10 13:05:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:59:12 -0300
Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say that you make a RPM for fedora, and then you want to make
> for epel5. Should I keep the fedora entries on changelog?

I usually do, yes. It's history of the package...

> Second question is somewhat silly, but I make it, just in case. Let's
> say that you want to make a epe6 package too.
>
> I've read at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branches
> that I should add set something as 1%{?dist}.1 on Release to make
> older that epel6 package. Should I add the same for the changelog
> entry on epel5 package?
>
> I mean:
>
> * Tue Mar 01 2011 Sergio Belkin <sebelk at fedoraproject.org> -
> 1%{?dist}.1 ?

No need.

EPEL doesn't need you to preserve the upgrade path between major
releases like Fedora does. AFAIK in RHEL upgrades between major
releases are simply not supported. You are expected to re-install if
you go from RHEL5 to RHEL6. So, no requirement that the RHEL5 version
be less than the RHEL6 one. ;)

Hopefully I understood your question... did that help?

kevin