Is Rawhide supposed to be useful?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue May 10 16:14:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:34:34 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:

...snip...

> Rawhide used to be something we could run to see where the
> distribution is going and, perhaps, help a little bit with the
> quality assurance.  More recently, I've been told a few times that I
> should *not* be running Rawhide and that the F15 branch is where the
> updates and fixes go.  It leaves me wondering what Rawhide is for
> anymore; what value does it bring to Fedora if nobody tries to
> actually run it for real work?

Good question. I do still run a rawhide test box here... but I admit I
don't look at it as much when we are ramping up for a release.

> Could it be that Fedora lacks the resources to maintain both Rawhide
> and the next-release branch?  In retrospect, was No Frozen Rawhide as
> good an idea as it seemed?

We could indeed revisit it.

I think it's still useful. I always build new stuff for rawhide first
before pushing to f15. I'd like to hope most other maintainers do as
well, and perhaps autoQA can nag and get those who don't to do so.

I think in this case it was just a matter or not getting the proper
folks attention to fix the issue. ;(

kevin