systemd questions

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu May 12 13:28:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm working with nut upstream to test sysv->systemd changes, but I found some
problems and they've came up with a few questions too.

1) does systemd support alternative to "service sthd configtest" or other
special actions?

2) does systemd have support for conditions in service files? It seem it's not
supported right now. Is there any plan for this?

3) in which cases I should ommit [Install] section in service file?

4) Is there any difference between
a) A.service: After=B.service
and
b) B.service: Before=A.service
or both a) and b) are required?

We have service A and service B. Service B requires service A, but it can
require service A from different host (depends on configuration). So we've
added After=A in service B and also Before=B in service A, but it did not
help. Expected result was B is started and if A is configured to start too, it
should be started before B. Actual result is that B is started before A if
both of them should start (when using systemctl start B.service A.service).

5) in old initscripts, there was /etc/init.d/halt with section for ups
shutdown. With that script gone, was that functionality ported to systemd
somehow?

Thanks
Michal