ubuntu to switch to lightdm?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu May 12 17:25:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 01:01:24PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 17:12 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:29:18AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > Which functions is it missing?
> >
> > Approximately anything that's been implemented in gdm since 2003.
> >

> I wasn't asking my question for snarky purposes. I was curious. I don't
> think this response was terribly helpful nor excellent.

You're right - I apologise for that. LightDM has no support for
AccountsService, so it's not going to integrate nicely with sssd. It
doesn't launch a session and so doesn't run any of the session policy
handlers like gnome-power-daemon, so instead has to speak to upower
directly and thus provides inconsistent policy handling. Backlight
management doesn't exist. It doesn't handle fingerprint or smartcard
authentication. Accessibility doesn't really exist. It's basically very
similar in functionality to xdm, except it can shut the machine down,
has some basic consolekit integration and is way more themable.

I've no problem with lightdm existing as an option for people who want
it, but I don't think there's any way we could justify switching the
default.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org