Issues with preupgrade F15B?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri May 13 14:45:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 22:24 -0600, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 11:49 AM, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

> >> It took upwards of 10 minutes for me to see activity. I was sitting
> >> there waiting for it to do something, and started to chat to people on
> >> IRC, midway through it all of a sudden continued on. Have you waited
> >> that long?
> >>
> > Well, I'm 27 minutes into it, and I've not seen anything beyond the "initrd ..." message.
> >
> > I also can't ping the box... but it does respond to "CAPS LOCK" on an attached keyboard.
> >
> > Who owns the initrd image?  Can I pepper it with some tracing so we can see how far it's getting and where it's hanging up?
> >
> > -Philip
> >

> I'm not seeing any interest in resolving this, so I'm going to go ahead with a yum update instead.
>
> Too bad, the problem was 100% reproducible, so it might have been a good source of information into this problem.

In our IRC discussions, I suspected improper console redirection (BIOS
and/or kernel).  However, it seems you've removed any console= arguments
and disabled BIOS redirection.  I would expect you to see boot progress
on tty0 (attached monitor) at this point.

You also tested booting the F15-Final-RC1 boot iso, which booted without
error (with no additional console= arguments).

We confirmed that the vmlinuz+initrd.img that preupgrade downloaded
checksum'd properly and were from a May 09 nightly branched compose.

Since the RC1 boot.iso images worked properly ... my suggestions would
be ...
     1. Try booting the images/pxeboot/{vmlinuz,initrd.img} from the RC1
        boot.iso instead of the ones preupgrade downloaded
     2. Try removing the ks= boot argument, and boot into the upgrade
     3. Lastly, if all else fails, just boot the boot.iso and select
        upgrade (which essentially does the same thing that preupgrade
        does).

Thanks,
James