systemd questions

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at
Sun May 15 13:59:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 12.05.11 17:04, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at wrote:

> You can run ExecStartPre= before starting a service for syntax checking
> before starting the service like we do for ..
> ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/radiusd -C
> ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/named-checkconf /etc/named.conf
> ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/cupsd -t

Humm, I really wonder what the benefit of placing these lines here
is. What does it buy you?

A sane daemon should do a syntax check anyway when starting (and exit if
it fails), so why do you do another one before? Unless there's a really
good reason for it this just complicates things, makes things slower,
and duplicates everything.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.