More than one version of a package

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon May 16 21:58:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011 18:51:35 -0300
Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/5/16 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
> > On Mon, 16 May 2011 18:11:15 -0300
> > Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Let's say I have package X 1.0 I'd want to upload an srpm of X 1.1
> >> and make build a newer version of X but
> >
> > For rawhide/master?
>
> Hmmm, yes, is it not mandatory?:
>
> "Be sure that you build for rawhide (master) branch before pushing
> updates for any other branches! Otherwise, those updates will get
> inherited into rawhide, which is almost certainly not what you want."

Right. Yes, you do want to almost always update rawhide first.

They may be an exception when you have to fix a bug that appears only
in one older release however. ;)

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join#Check_out_the_module
>
> (And sorry for the stupid question: what does stand for "module" in
> this context?)

Package. ;)

> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO
> >
> > If you update f13/f14 with a new version, and create an update for
> > it, it would normally then go to updates-testing, then finally to
> > updates
>
> I mean: the examples it seems that goes for an update in a  all
> branches in the same way.

Yes, but you are not required to do that. In fact many times you are
required to NOT do that when it's a package that is only suitable for
rawhide (ie, a major revision change, or the like).

> Let's say that I'd want to keep f13/f14 with 1.0 of X package but
> upgrade to 1.1 for f15. How can I do that? Or other case you want o
> submit a "maintenance" for f13/f14 to 1.0.1.
>
> Can coexist both versions?

Sure. Each branch is seperate. Simply don't build for the f13/f14
branches and they will keep the current version they have.

> Thanks in advance!

kevin