How to build noarch package on only certain architectures?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue May 17 13:28:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:40:50 -0700
Eric Smith <eric at brouhaha.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build Clapham for EPEL6.  Clapham is a noarch package,
> but it depends on Batik, which is ExclusiveArch: i686 x86_64.  When I
> submitted a build with koji, it failed to build for ppc and ppc64 due
> to the missing dependency.
>
> I tried adding the same ExclusiveArch to Clapham.  That causes errors
> from rpm and koji.
>
> Now I've tried adding ExcludeArch: ppc ppc64 s390 s390x.  Koji still
> tries to build it for ppc64, and it still fails due to the missing
> dependency.
>
> Is there some other way to add a noarch package that doesn't build on
> some architectures?

Sadly this is a nasty situation. (I'm in the same boat with munin).

There are 2 answers, neither ideal (I'd love to hear better):

1. Make your package archfull. Add ExcludeArch/ExclusiveArch.

2. Leave it noarch and ExcludeArch: ppc64, then try and keep rebuilding
it until you hit a non ppc builder.

I tried various other things, none of which worked. ;(

kevin