Security release criterion proposal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 18 18:51:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 14:40 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Is it unthinkable to respin the images with those fixes ?
> Usually the patches are quite simple to backport, and we are talking
> about a limited set of bugs (remote root exploit on install) after all.

Unthinkable, no, but there are various practical issues with doing
official re-spins which have meant it's never actually happened, and the
project for doing it semi-externally - Unity - is often way behind. One
that I wasn't previously aware of, which Spot explained to me recently,
is U.S. export regulations; we have to go through a long and tedious
regulatory process for official builds, and no-one's particularly keen
to start doing that multiple times per cycle for respins.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey