Security release criterion proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 18 20:37:27 UTC 2011

Adam Jackson wrote:
> The difference between a known and an unknown security bug is that, if
> _you_ know about it, it's virtually certain that someone malicious
> already does too.
>
> We can't avoid unknown risk exposure.  You're arguing for ignoring known
> risk exposure entirely.  Seems a touch irresponsible.

"Unknown" risk exposure can become known after the release and we'd have to
respin all our images for every single security fix to address that. This is
just not practical.

> Also: twelve month.

13 months if you go by that metric, but the 6 months I mentioned are the
time between 2 releases, i.e. the time that can pass in the worst case until
we release fixed images.

        Kevin Kofler