Security release criterion proposal

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 18 21:00:49 UTC 2011

Tomas Mraz wrote:
> Also note that targeting the heaps of poor users that are eager to try
> the newly shipped Fedora release would be probably much more easy and
> efficient than targeting one user installing the Fedora here or there a
> few months later.

Huh? The "heaps" of users do not install Fedora the day of the release. Only
very few very enthousiastic and very impatient early adopters do that (and I
blame them for needlessly swamping our mirrors). Actual users, especially
those most likely to try out and install from live images (as opposed to
e.g. upgrading an existing release using preupgrade, which pulls in updates
automatically), install Fedora whenever they discover it, which can be at
any time of our release cycle.

For example, we gave out a few dozen Fedora 14 live media less than 2 weeks
ago at Linuxwochen Wien!

And for several practical reasons I don't want to go into here, the media we
handed out at the event were all GA images, not respins. Users downloading
the images themselves will probably also opt for the GA ISOs we officially
distribute, not unofficial respins we do not officially endorse.

        Kevin Kofler