Call for help: porting Sugar to NetworkManager 0.9 for Fedora 15

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 18 22:48:04 UTC 2011

Hey, all. So, although the Fedora 15 final release has been signed off
on, we gave ourselves a bit of wiggle room. The current Sugar
implementation is known to have some significant issues, the major one
of which is that networking is badly broken. We are aiming to try and
fix these and do the Sugar-on-a-stick live spin late, incorporating
these fixes, as they do not need to touch any of the other live images
or the DVD.

The problem with networking is the NetworkManager 0.9 API change; it
caught Sugar, both upstream and within Fedora, a bit off guard. When the
change was discussed by FESCo the needs of KDE and anaconda were
considered and a plan developed, but no-one caught that the same problem
affected Sugar: Sugar has its own interface to NetworkManager, and that
needs to be either ported to 0.9, or adjusted to use the fallback 0.8ish
API that was implemented for knetworkmanager to use.

Unfortunately, our go-to Sugar guy, Peter Robinson, is struggling with
doing this as it's not really in his wheelhouse, and our upstream
contact at Sugar is busy with travel and Sugar release problems, so
getting this done has not been smooth sailing so far. Peter would be
very grateful of any help anyone could offer with the porting effort (to
either the 0.9 or 0.8-ish interface within current NetworkManager; we
don't care which, we just want typical Sugar networking to work.

We'd like to get this done so we can still spin up a Sugar live image
and push it out for release day, which is May 24, but in any case, the
sooner the better. If you'd like to help with this, please contact
Peter, myself, or Jared Smith via email or IRC, or just reply to this
mail. Peter's IRC nick is pbrobinson, mine is adamw, and Jared's is
jsmith. Thanks a lot!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey