serial kernel console vs. systemd

Josh Stone jistone at redhat.com
Thu May 19 17:52:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to debug some kernel crashes that I'm getting in a virtual
machine running rawhide.  Adding "console=ttyS0,57600 console=tty0" to
the guest kernel used to work so "virsh console my-vm" would get me all
the kernel messages.  Now in this systemd world, I get *some* messages
as it runs, but not everything that dmesg shows .  And I don't get
anything when the kernel actually crashes.

I've seen hints that systemd is reading the console=... parameters and
remapping them through userspace.  That's not too helpful though when
the kernel crashes such that userspace never gets a chance to echo.  Is
there a way I can get the kernel messages directly out on serial again?

Thanks,

Josh