which video player for a package Requires ?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed May 25 10:58:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 22:26 +0200, Nicoleau Fabien wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm packaging a software that downloads videos from websites like
> youtube, dailymotion, etc ...
>
> This software also allow the user to launch a video player that will
> read the video as a stream.
>
> The default value in the configuration file for the video player is "vlc
> --quiet %u".

That sounds like quvi. Which you probably wouldn't want to use on the
command-line unless you knew what you were doing.

> My question is :
> what am I suppose to set in "Requires" field for the package ? totem ?
> something generic ? nothing ?

Nothing.

FWIW, Totem has builtin support for quvi (I've been in touch with the
upstream author who made quite a few changes for it to be usable within
Totem). So "totem http://www.myvideosite.com/foobar" would play if the
site is supported by quvi.

Cheers