Upgrading from Fedora 14 to 15 -> some problems

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:48:09 UTC 2011

Em 25-05-2011 10:42, Robert 'Bob' Jensen escreveu:
> ----- "Casimiro de Almeida Barreto" <casimiro.barreto at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I upgraded my notebook from 14 to 15.
>>
>> Problems:
>>
>> 1st: it deleted network configurations.
>> 2nd: rpmdb was left quite messed. Several dependencies non satisfied.
>> As
>> this particular box was already upgraded from 13 to 14, there were
>> problems dealing with very old things (fc13 stuff). Much of upgrading
>> had to be done by hand (including uninstall & reinstall packages).
>> Yum
>> failed short.
>> 3rd: kde & kdm not upgraded by default. Thus kdm failed to start. I
>> had
>> to switch to gdm, update kde, kdm, switch to kdm ... not intuitive
>> for
>> average user.
>>
>> Nothing really important for average nerd but annoying to users not
>> proficient in system admin chores.
>>
> What upgrade method is important to know. DVD, preupgrade, other?
>
> -- Bob
Upgraded from DVD.

Just booted from DVD, chose the "install or upgrade" & then did default
stuff.

I posted here because I think that dependencies are developer issues and
not user ones. From problems I detected, continuous upgrading is not
tried before a new Fedora is released. For future releases I'd suggest
someone keeps a box with complete installation (fedora, fedora-devel,
rpm-fusion...) upgraded from Fedora 14->15 and test upgrading it to
Fedora 16.

I'd also suggest to people dealing with RPM to create a way of
"cleaning" db. Inspecting the one in my box I discovered that there are
"dead memories" from Fedora 12 !!!

Next Sunday I'll upgrade another box. Then I'll try to extract records
to supply to developers. This box promises to be hard because it's using
an old NVIDIA GPU + manufacturer libraries (not nouveau that's not 3D
accelerated).

Besides, clamav requires /sbin/sysctl but does not install if as
dependency (only complains missing /sbin/sysctl and does not install).

Best regards,

CdAB