9base in Fedora?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:25:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 01:03, Petr Sabata <contyk at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:59:27AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> >

>> > In this case, though, there wouldn't be wrappers or scripts in /usr/bin.
>>
>> Ok looking at how convoluted we are having to get this package in..
>> what are the reasons to have it in Fedora? Would some other way of
>> producing them having them available be there? Who is going to benefit
>> from them being there? Etc
>>

> Simply to make Fedora better. I'd like to make those available for our users.
> There are currently no other packages relying on this set (or rc, to be more
> specific) in Fedora. That could change in the future, though.

To be clear, my original question for putting them in is not that they
will break things or not. It is more does the "headache" of putting
them to meet FHS, LSB, MNOP standards too much? In the golden old days
I would put these in /usr/plan9  (like the old /usr/ucb or /usr/sysv
or /usr/kerberos) we used to have littered around. Or I would make
them prefixed p9 like I would prefix things g (for gnu), b (for bsd),
k (for kerberos). However that seems not acceptable these days
either.. so we end up with needing to put it in some poorly defined
place (/usr/libexec/plan9/{bin,lib,etc,etc}) that may or may not cause
even more howls somewhere else.

Do these required backflips make the software less usable than if you
had a repository (COPR?)  where stuff landed in /usr/local/ or
/opt/plan9 that people could use without too many problems. Yes
"fewer" people would find it from your fedorapeople web page, but the
few people who know about plan9, want to use plan9 etc are going to
already be doing Web searches for the name.

> --
> # Petr Sabata
>
> --

Stephen J Smoogen.