UID_MIN & GID_MIN changed

Ondrej Vasik ovasik at redhat.com
Thu May 26 08:41:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 09:27 +0200, Peter Vrabec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday, May 25, 2011 08:07:32 PM Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Peter Vrabec <pvrabec at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > We can also annouce the 200 limit for reserved IDs. ;)
> >
> > We can't just make changes to this range.  Especially not in the lower
> > end of it.  (and if we change the dynamic system account range to
> > extend higher, we also can't use the 500-1000 range for that.
> This change has already happened. If it was done without any harm, I consider
> that a good job. :)

Just a side note here... there are some third party
packages /applications which used/use static id's between 100 and
200 ... especially between 101 and 106 it is quite easy to find
"recommended" numbers for some apps. As Peter said, useradd assigns
dynamic system id's from the top of the range, going down - so the
conflicts with existing dynamic system accounts are really unlikely to
happen there.

Ondrej Vasik