Highlighting totem-upnp issue and possible koji problem?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 26 21:21:57 UTC 2011

> You could say Bastien should have stopped the upnp package building at
> all rather than making it empty, but then if he didn't make something
> obsolete it, old versions would have stuck around and caused trouble,
> and if he makes something obsolete it, then re-introducing it when it
> actually works becomes more complex.

One thing I forgot, btw - we can't disallow empty packages in general,
because an empty package is a perfectly allowable and sometimes useful
thing: an empty package with some dependencies is what we mean when we
talk about 'metapackages'. So if you have a suite of packages which are
generally installed and work together, you can create an empty package
with dependencies on all the packages that typically go together to make
up that suite, and the user can just do 'yum install foobar' and get all
the right packages to make the Foobar suite work as intended. The use of
metapackages is generally somewhat frowned on in Fedora in favour of
comps-based groups, but there are a few.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey