UID_MIN & GID_MIN changed

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri May 27 14:41:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 09:42:26 -0400,
  Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:

> If you click 'other' and type in your username it allows you to login
> right ?
> Does it "remember" your name once you logout ?
>
> If not I call it a bug in gdm.

I wasn't given the other option. Possibly because I have no accounts without
UIDs over 1000.

To get signed in I modified /etc/login.defs. Hopefully it was only replaced
because I hadn't changed it, so it does rebreak with every shadow-utils
update.

I think the whole uid based test is broken anyway. A more reasonable algorithm
might be to ignore accounts with shells of /bin/false or /sbin/nologin and
include the rest. Or you could additionally skip accounts that have shells
that aren't in /etc/shells. (Taking into account an empty shell entry should
be treated as /bin/sh.)