Upgrading from Fedora 14 to 15 -> some problems

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Fri May 27 15:52:46 UTC 2011

----- "Kevin Kofler" <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> The DVD does not include updates when doing the upgrade, which means
> it is
> fully expected that some packages will not be updated because they're
> newer
> in Fedora 14 updates than in Fedora 15 GA. Running "yum upgrade" or
> "yum
> distro-sync" after the DVD upgrade should fix it. (The latter will
> also
> downgrade packages if even Fedora 15 updates have an older version
> than
> Fedora 14 updates. Such a situation is actually a bug, but it still
> happens
> sometimes, so distro-sync is more robust.)
>
> My recommendation is to use preupgrade or
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum instead of
> the
> DVD. (The former is the official recommendation, the latter is how I
> upgrade
> my machines.)

In the #fedora IRC channel I have seen 100 preupgrade failures for every one DVD upgrade failure roughly, I have nicknamed it preFAILupgrade. So much so I already had a draft started and was a bit shocked to read it was a DVD upgrade failure... so as always YMMV.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |