Upgrading from Fedora 14 to 15 -> some problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 27 18:06:37 UTC 2011

> Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> > In the #fedora IRC channel I have seen 100 preupgrade failures for every
> > one DVD upgrade failure roughly, I have nicknamed it preFAILupgrade. So
> > much so I already had a draft started and was a bit shocked to read it was
> > a DVD upgrade failure... so as always YMMV.
> Well, I use plain yum for a reason. ;-) I've had so many problems with
> Anaconda that I prefer bypassing it entirely. That said, that method is only
> half-supported, so there too, YMMV.

>From a practical standpoint, I'd say no upgrade method is particularly
supported in reality. The extent of our support is that we test that an
upgrade from a completely clean install of the previous release works;
that's all the guarantee you get. There's no planned testing of upgrades
from any kind of non-stock install, and there's a fairly high bar on
upgrade issues constituting release blockers. In practice, we don't
really try that hard to produce a really reliable upgrade process. We
*state* that anaconda and preupgrade-based upgrades are supported, but
as a project we don't put a huge amount of effort into actually making
sure they work in most cases. (This is partly, of course, because it's
an extremely difficult thing to do.)
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey