Upgrading from Fedora 14 to 15 -> some problems

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 28 00:14:20 UTC 2011

Peter Jones wrote:
> It's possible you're remembering correctly, but I doubt it.  The only
> issue that sounds similar to your hand-waving here, as I see it, is that
> we (by way of yum) will always choose the newest available package. This
> means if there's a higher version number on a package in f14-updates than
> in f15-release, and you've got the update already installed, you won't get
> the f15 package.

And that's exactly why we need to pull in f15-updates, which should have an
update equivalent to or newer than f14-updates!

> But that's an issue with or without f15-updates (or even f14-updates)
> enabled during the upgrade.

No, not if the upgrade paths are respected.

The EVR in f15-updates is supposed to be always >= the EVR in f14-updates.
(If not, this is a serious packaging bug and a blatant policy violation.)
But f15-release obviously cannot guarantee that, because f14-updates moves
on after the release.

> There was also possibly some terrifyingly bad interaction with running
> multiple transactions for split media, but thankfully we've shed that
> beast of burden.

So, can we have updates included for upgrades then? (IMHO, this should be
the default, or even better, required. Upgrading without updates enabled
just won't work reliably.)

        Kevin Kofler