F15 and HP printer

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Sun May 29 16:06:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 10:26 +0200, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     I just installed F15 over my old F14 (I just kept /home). I tried
>> installing my printer (HP Deskjet 5740) and I failed miserably.
>
> First, I would totally delete the printer from your system, unplug it
> from the computer and totally wipe it clean as in the system recognized
> or sees NO printer at all when it's booted.
>
> Turn off printer, plug in to computer, make sure it's on and then turn
> on the computer.  Your computer should pick it up and install it, esp
> being HP printer and working with linux all the time.  Mine is detected
> all by itself and never have to do anything.
>
> If your computer isn't detected on it's own by itself (how is it
> connected btw, usb cable?), try like someone else said,
> system-config-printer and see if that works.

I installed system-config-printer at the next boot and I found the
printer already installed inside it without any manual operation. I
could even print a test page.

Then I uninstalled system-config-printer, rebooted again, and I could
still see the printer and print from various applications.

I have no idea what changed between these boots but now I can use my
printer :) Doh!

Thanks for your support guys!

Andrea.